After the establishment of the first avocado orchard in the 1920’s by Mr. Harry Ludman, the number of farmers who took to producing avocado crops grew quickly. Many years later, in the mid-sixties, these same farmers realised that they would have to work together if they wanted to obtain the greatest possible benefits from their investments.
On November 27, 1967, the first meeting of avocado growers was held at Westfalia Estates near Tzaneen. The farmers discussed the possibility of better communication and the chances of increasing the potential they saw for the avocado on the overseas markets. Prof. Ballie Kotzé was the chairman at the meeting. He retired as the research coordinator in 1994.
The meeting led to the formation of an “Avocado Growers Export Coordinating Committee” with Mr. A J Cresswell of Koolkat (Pty) Ltd, an export agent, as convener. In January 1969, the name was changed to the “Transvaal Avocado Growers’ Association”, and thus the organization continued until August 9, 1971, when it became known as the South African Avocado Growers’ Association.
SAAGA’s philosophy was sound and the positive results of the industry are an example of voluntary cooperation on a national level which seldom, if ever before, has been achieved in the agricultural sphere in South Africa.