Salad with Spinach, Ham, Avocado & Pasta
- 8oz (250gr) ham, cooked
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes
- 6oz (180gr) fresh spinach
- 1 tbs fresh snipped chives
- 1 tbs marjoram or oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese (cheddar, Colby)
- 3/4 cup dry, bite-size, whole-wheat pasta
- White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While waiting for the water to boil, prepare salad:
- Make Vinaigrette.
- Slice ham into large strips.
- Sauté the ham if you like, set aside.
Wash spinach if needed and spin dry.
- Cut any large leaves in half.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut avocado, slice it thickly, then cut into chunks.
- Snip/strip herbs.
- When pasta is done, drain but don’t shake every last bit of water off.
- To assemble salad
- Put spinach into a large bowl.
- Add hot, drained pasta and toss lightly to combine.
- Add half of the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Add the ham, avocado, herbs and tomatoes, toss lightly.
- Taste and adjust vinaigrette, adding more if you like.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve any remaining vinaigrette on the side.
White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs Greek yoghurt
- 5 tbs olive oil, the good stuff
- Place mustard, vinegar and yoghurt, in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add olive oil, whisking constantly, to combine. It should be thick and emulsified when finished.