Serves 6 as a main meal
- Use left-over roast chicken, buy a rotisserie chicken or simply roast or steam a few bone-in chicken breasts.
- 500 g spaghetti or linguini
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- Peel of 1 lemon, sliced into thin strips
- 500 ml shredded cooked chicken
- 60 ml lemon juice
- 250 ml home-made chicken stock
- 60 ml roughly chopped italian parsley or basil
- 125 ml rocket leaves 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- Salt and milled pepper
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan ans sauté onion until just soft. Add garlic, chilli and lemon peel and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, lemon juice and stock and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add herbs, rocket and avocado.
- Season well and toss gently with pasta.
- Serve immediately with a salad.
Recipe by Justine Drake, editor of Pick n Pay customer magazine, Fresh Living.