Serves 6 as an accompaniment to a main meal
- 3 large avocados, halved pitted and peeled
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 2 yellow or green peppers, finely sliced
- 2 large red tomatoes or 6 larger cocktail tomatoes, cut into rounds
- 2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 60 ml olive oil
- 10 ml fresh lemon juice
- 10 ml white vinegar
- 5 ml dried chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 5 ml Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Large handful of coriander
- Cut the avocado halves into 1cm slices horizontally, pour lemon juice over avo.
- Carefully remove from the lemon juice and layer half the avocado on a serving platter.
- Top with slices of onion followed by peppers and tomatoes, sprinkle slices of celery.
- Repeat the layers retaining some avocado slices and onion rings for garnish.
- Sprinkle on the spring onions.
- For the dressing combine the olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Add chilli flakes, Tabasco sauce, seasoning and sugar and mix well.
- Season to taste and then add the coriander and mix.
- Just before serving, mix dressing well and pour over salad.
Recipe by Hilary Biller, food editor of Sunday Times Travel and Food.